Thursday, November 5, 2015

Balanced

Although I have not been posting with my usual regularity, I have been very busy with all things art related.  I am preparing for a show at the Tall Tree Gallery and Studio, my away-from-home happy place, which is where I meet once a week, year round, for lessons.  In addition to the actual painting, there is so much to do to prepare for a show---varnishing, framing, preparing lists for the gallery owner, sending invitations with notes, etc. 

I have been painting on larger formats, this one measuring 24 x 24", which of course is not completed in a day, hence the recent absence of small works for Daily Paintworks.  I just love these bowls, hand made by Jean Smaglik Wells.  I've collected the bowls and her platters for many years.  You can see more of her work here:  http://www.jeansclaystudio.com

I also recently started an online portrait course with Chantel Barber http://www.chantelsoriginals.com/
I have NO experience with portrait work, nor have I ever taken an online course, so this is really scary for me.   So far we have had one homework assignment--to paint a grey scale portrait using 4-5 greys in 45 minutes or less.  It's not that easy, folks!  Finding a suitable reference photo was a real challenge, as it needed to be high contrast, and no toothy smiles!  Chantel critiques our work, but I have not yet had the courage to check for that.  I know I will learn a lot from this very talented artist with a most distinct style, who is very giving in sharing her techniques. 

I am pleased to tell you that I had a successful season in Door County and have been invited back to the Edgewood Orchard Galleries for next year's season.  I am very grateful.


1 comment:

  1. Diane, these are so beautifully done. I love the way you capture the bowls so nicely...the sgraffito carved lines and the milkiness of the glaze. Nice composition. I feel like I am back in time and can reach out and grab this stack of bowls!

    ReplyDelete