Saturday, July 12, 2014

411 Pearl Onions in the Spotlight

I really enjoyed painting the mandarin oranges from a copyright-free photograph, and was curious to try to recreate the conditions that produced the reflections of the oranges.  I experimented with set ups to try to accomplish the same effect.  I was happy to see these pearl onions in my farm box this week and spent a lot of time arranging different items to achieve the desired effect.

People often ask me how long it takes to paint a daily painting.  A gallery owner advised me to say
"61 years" (my age) because it took me this long to get to this place.  But truth be told, there is so much research that goes into a painting, and no one ever sees that.  First comes the idea, the research, then experimenting with the set up, the sketching and developing the color palette. Analyzing whether what you want to paint will translate into a painting takes time, as well as a gazillion other factors.  Then, of course, the actual painting, the photographing, the title, the posting to blog, etc.

I am very lucky to be able to do what I love at this time in my life.  I am a happy person when I can devote the necessary time to become a better painter.

This is a longer post than usual.  I apologize if it is more than desired.  I am exploding with creative ideas and possibilities.  Thank you for your patience, support and encouragement.  It is very much appreciated.
Sold

No comments:

Post a Comment