Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Red Hats SOLD

I was in the right place----the Milwaukee Art Museum in the stunning Calatrava wing, at the right time---Art in Bloom exhibit when florists/garden clubs/grocery store floral departments interpret the art through floral arrangements.  These little ladies were nonchalantly sitting on the bench taking in all the excitement.   For those of you who don't know, the Red Hat Society is an organization with over 40,000 chapters in the US and 30 other countries, and typically its members are over 50, who subscribe to the practice of:
"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me"
which is based on a poem by Jenny Joseph called "Warning." The Red Hat Society was started by a woman named Sue Ellen Cooper, the "Queen Mother," who felt that women over 50 were so accustomed to going unnoticed, and felt that had to change.  She wrote a book on the subject.  There are even stores that carry Red Hat Society items.  Think I am making this up????   Check it out.

By the way, my garden club won a People's Choice Award for our interpretation of "Buddha's Footprint." 

No comments:

Post a Comment