Saturday, September 12, 2020

989 Don't Go, Summer



After my recent enjoyable plein air experience which produced disastrous paintings, I found myself slipping into that place that no artist wants to visit.  I needed to refocus and decide what kind of a painter I wanted to be, what style, what voice, what I want to communicate.  I know I'm different--I like painting on a black gessoed surface, and some may gasp at that, but I like it.  My work may not be technically perfect, but hey---it's "me."  I can take class after class and yes, I learn a lot from other artists, but what I so desperately need is to learn is to maintain my own style, method, voice.  

I'm not sure I am cut out to be a plein air painter.  I'm getting older and it is a fairly strenuous activity.  I hate to admit that, but it's true.  But, I'm not ready to give it up, so I may try again with more of what I am familiar with--my acrylics and all my unique practices that make me comfortable and therefore, more productive.  

A couple of days ago, it was warm, but very clearly, Fall was in the air.  I went for a walk near the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is located on beautiful wooded grounds.  I took lots of pictures of scenes including trees, which I failed to paint satisfactorily at the plein air event.  I needed to paint one of those scenes as a metaphor for "getting back on the horse."

I'm more of a still life painter, but I love landscapes and have painted a fair amount of them.  I will continue to appreciate the strong verticals of Mother Nature's most beautiful sculptures--TREES.  I will continue to focus on the large shapes, the light and the shadows, to capture what elements tell MY story, to simplify, and to find the hero in my story.  These are the teachings of Steve Puttrich, the extraordinarily talented and nice guy who was so patient with me, knowing there were many new components to my plein air experience.  Thank you, Steve.

https://www.dailypaintworks.com/fineart/diane-campion/989--dont-go-sumer/828530

 

No comments:

Post a Comment