Tuesday, December 15, 2015

741 More of Myself

This morning I woke up with a strong urge to correct what you didn't see in this painting yesterday. Although I feel a little awkward posting "myself" two days in a row, I had so many thoughts about portrait painting today that I want to share.  Just a slightly off curve or a fraction of an inch in the spacing of the eyes can blow a portrait because a likeness will be missing.  And one little thing can affect all of the expressions in the face.  For example, my husband, who has never had any creative training, yet always seems to know just what is wrong with a painting, thought I looked sad in the painting, so back to the studio I went to make myself look happier.  A little up turn of the mouth, more pouf on the cheeks and a little something to the eyes made "me" as happy as possible without starting over.  He then commented that my eyes still look sad.  Oh well.  I still learned a lot through this experience.

It occurred to me, too, that portrait painting is a powerful position to be in.  I could have given myself lips like Angelina Jolie's and a beautiful nose like Adele's.  HA!

Tomorrow a new adventure:  I will tackle painting TEETH!

No comments:

Post a Comment