Thursday, February 19, 2015

JoAnna Poehlmann, Now and Then


Today, I took a day off from painting, but not from art.  A friend and I visited the RedLine Gallery, a most creative place, to see local artist JoAnna Poehlmann's exhibit, Now and Then.  JoAnna has been painting and drawing Mother Nature's beautiful birds, feathers, eggs and many other subjects for over 50 years.  The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had a wonderful article about her in Sunday's newspaper.  The exhibit was all I expected and much more.  She is indeed an artist's artist.  Her work explores many different aspects--collage, exquisitely detailed and delicate drawings, and interesting bookmaking.  All of her works are titled with such a wonderful sense of humor.  Her collection of "roadkill" and other birds and wildlife is beautiful.  What I loved most was her correlation between artists/artworks of the past and her drawings--simply genius.

I took a class from JoAnna at the Milwaukee Art Museum many years ago where we drew feathers, eggs, and dead birds that had been collected and stored in her freezer.  My drawing of feathers and eggs is one of my favorite pieces, the drawing of the dead cardinal---eh. 

Once, a few years ago, we had a beautiful bird, can't remember what it was,  fly into our window and lay dead on our patio, at least I think he/she was dead.  I knew immediately we had to take the bird to JoAnna and we did so in a shoebox cushioned respectfully for the dearly departed specimen. 

I encourage you to look at JoAnna's work however you can find it.  I know you will not be disappointed.  She is indeed a modern day master.

No comments:

Post a Comment